Monday, October 24, 2011

What is happiness to you????


To me 'Happiness' is found in the small, simple things in life. Although not always easy to spot them everyday, they can be found. Let's face it we want what we do not have, its human nature. And then when we have what we want, we eventually want something more.
    
    Here are some great quotes I have found from our general authorities in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints:

Claudio M.Costa of the first quorum of the 70 said in his talk "Fun and Happiness:

"As we keep His commandments, we are blessed and come to know true happiness. We learn that happiness lies in doing small things that build us up, that increase our faith and testimony. Small things we do in our everyday lives, such as:
             We are happy as we pray every morning and every night, when we can feel that the Lord hears us and is always willing to bless, forgive, and help us. We are happy as we feel the promptings of the Holy Ghost in our lives—as we feel the Spirit when we have to make important life decisions. We are happy as we go home after a stressful and tiresome day at work to the arms of our families, as they express love and appreciation for us. We are happy to talk to our children, to enjoy the family, to get together on family night. In short, we can feel happiness every day in our lives through little things we do, and we are fully happy as we keep the commandments of a loving God who cares about us."
Fun and Happiness---Click here to read this talk 
President Utchdorf said from the Relief Society broadcast "Forget me not" talk:
"The happiest people I know are not those who find their golden ticket; they are those who, while in pursuit of worthy goals, discover and treasure the beauty and sweetness of the everyday moments. They are the ones who, thread by daily thread, weave a tapestry of gratitude and wonder throughout their lives. These are they who are truly happy."
   "Forget me Not"-----click there is you want to read the talk

 
 So how do we find happiness "in the small and simple things in life"? For me, half the time it actually takes a conscience mental effort and the other half I just need to look at my little boy.

Ethan's personality is generally very happy. He smiles and laughs at anything, and when I say anything I mean it. For example, just last night Michael was picking up trash from the ground and Ethan was watching and just busted up laughing. Umm whats so funny little boy? Oh well, gave me a good laugh. That's just a small tidbit of the things that make Ethan laugh. Just by watching Ethan grow, learn, and explore the world around him, I find joy.
Doesn't he just make you want to smile???
Great pose....he is really saying "mum why you taking soo many pics of me?Give me that camera!"

Through the tunnel...mom what kinda game is this??
 Doesn't like to get INTO the seat...so this happens.
 Just like dad....loves bread!
 If I hold on with my mouth, I won't fall!


 Vrooom, Vroooom!!!
Yeah! this is fun!
My very own leaf!
I think I eat this????Hahaa!
Oh my goodness, those leaves are gorgeous!

Loves to walk!
 Makes me happy when he peeks around dad to see mom!
 Yup I love my family!
 Never leaves his socks on! Ever!
 Picking at Dad's hair as usual!
Loving the leaves....sorry can't get enough of them!
First Nilla Wafer Cookie....he devoured it!
 Decided to take my own shirt off!
 Playing with toys and standing!
My punk rocker!

So when I am not feeling very happy most of my family and friends know I love to dance....well being a stay at home mom....i still do....enjoy this video!    (btw I got Michael dancing to this just after and the darn thing didn't record....but he buggied it....we will get him on here another time)



As you can see lots of things make me happy....umm I had to stop myself from putting up more stuff! But just to name a few....my family, being a mom...and all those small fun moments, nature (especially the fall season right now), dancing, and the gospel of Jesus Christ. Quite frankly, I realize when I don't pray and read my scriptures every day I have a crummy day and nothing seems to go the way I want it. I am very blessed to have my own testimony of that.
   
        SO.....What makes you happy??????? Please share your comments!

3 comments:

Blackburn Family said...

I saw on facebook that you have a blog! I do to although it's probably more "me" centered and it's private because I felt super uncomfortable one night knowing my blog was available for everyone to read since I've mentioned multiple times that I'm home alone every night because of Jon's work. I'm sure it will go public again once that changes. :) Anyway, I enjoyed reading your blog so far and you wrote exactly what makes me happy too. Family is so great and being a mom is the best job in the world. Cute little boys always put a smile on my face. :)

Rachel said...

I love this! Thanks for your thoughts on happiness. I think you're absolutely right. There are so many things in the world that make us happy--and I know that I don't always realize all the good things that happen to me during the day.

And I love the video of you and Ethan dancing! It's so cute!

Tandy said...

You bring joy and happiness into my life!!! Especially when you post pictures! Love you!!